Washer <span class="highlight">Wiring</span> - Troopy

Submitted: Monday, Jan 22, 2007 at 15:39
ThreadID: 41504 Views:1926 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Folks,

Ive only recently bought a used Troopy (1995 1HZJ75). Ive discovered that the windscreen washer doesnt work.

What we have found so far is that the wiper switch was faulty. Which we have replaced. But there is still something wrong.

I know the switch works now, because when I pull the lever the wipers wipe 3 times as if there was water on the screen. Plus, if someone holds the pump while I pull the lever the pump "bumps" as if its trying to work, but doesnt quite get there.

We know the pump works (have tested it idependantly). I know the lines are clear of gunk (have blown them through). When we test the wiring it appears to be fine and so does the plug that the pump sits in (tested wiring and pump using a multimeter).
My only guess is that perhaps the wiring or plug that the pump plugs into has a break that is not letting quite enough power through to power the pump.....
but to be honest Im lost now.

Does anyone have any clues that I can check out? This is my last try before giving the car to an auto electrician to work out (then he can wire up the driving lights while he is at it I guess).

Thanks for any advice
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Nullagine) - Monday, Jan 22, 2007 at 15:59

Monday, Jan 22, 2007 at 15:59
I know you reckon it works but the first thing you do is turf the pump. They are available after market and arnt dear. Mine crapped itself so i went to the wreckers and found evreyone at the wreckers was also dead. So I bought a new one which also crapped itself in a year or so................... Starting to get the picture on these pumps?
AnswerID: 217055

Follow Up By: Member - Banjo (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 23, 2007 at 10:45

Tuesday, Jan 23, 2007 at 10:45
Davoe

I must be lucky. Eleven years on and still working.

And yes, I use it all the time. Anything on the glass annoys the daylights out of me.

Banjo (WA)
FollowupID: 477664

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Nullagine) - Tuesday, Jan 23, 2007 at 14:10

Tuesday, Jan 23, 2007 at 14:10
using it all the time helps. the 2 shagged ones I had had little use and i suspect the ones sitting round the wreckers werent gettina workout:)
FollowupID: 477701

Reply By: troopyman - Monday, Jan 22, 2007 at 16:05

Monday, Jan 22, 2007 at 16:05
Pull the stalk back towards you while in the on wiper position .
AnswerID: 217057

Reply By: Geoff (Newcastle, NSW) - Monday, Jan 22, 2007 at 16:28

Monday, Jan 22, 2007 at 16:28
Hi,
I'd suggest that multimeters sometimes aren't the best for fault finding a circuit that _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx a little bit of current, say an amp or more. The meter has a very high internal impedence and _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx very little current giving the impression of full volts and a healthy circuit.

Your washer circuit may have a faulty pump, most likely as Davoe has said. Or if it has a dirty joint then a meter may lie to you.

Grab a 12 volt globe of about 20 watt and solder a couple leads onto it, test again with that. It'll put a load on the circuit and show a dirty joint up very quickly.

I still think Davoe will be closest, those pumps aren't very robust.

Geoff
Geoff,
Landcruiser HDJ78,
Grey hair is hereditary, you get it from children. Baldness is caused by watching the Wallabies.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message
Classifieds: Landcruiser 16x8 Rims,

AnswerID: 217065

Reply By: Tathagata - Tuesday, Jan 23, 2007 at 10:43

Tuesday, Jan 23, 2007 at 10:43
Definitely not the pump. I can say this without hesitation as I have bought a new pump to try out and it does exactly the same thing.

Thanks guys, any help is great in this one if it saves me going to a sparky.

Troopyman....pretty sure Ive already done this, but just in case Im wrong Ill put it all back together tonight and give it a run...if you dont hear from me again its because Im hiding in shame. :)
AnswerID: 217222

Sponsored Links